To Donate: Cushi – Being Black in the Holyland
The term “Cushi” is the only Israeli word for blacks literally translating to “Nigger”. The fact that this is the only word in Hebrew to describe people of African decent or those with dark skin, denotes the racism prevalent in Israeli society today.
For the past 1.5 years, Existence is Resistance along with filmmakers and activists from the US and UK committed to bringing social justice through the use of cultural mediums have been working together to produce a documentary which would highlight the conditions and treatment of various Black communities within the Holyland. We are planning on taking M1 of the group Dead Prez among others for this journey in order for them to build with the various communities. Additionally, this film seeks to create a platform for these different groups to tell their stories and connect with each other. . The group will spend two to three days in each community, speaking and connecting with people of all ages who will guide us through their daily lives. Once each destination has been visited and documented, the group will bring one person from each community to spend three days together. This would culminate in ten people of African descent in the Holyland connecting together for the first time.
What We Need & What You Get
- The funds we are asking for is at a minimal covering expenses for all involved during the 1.5 months of filming (this includes transportation, accommodations, translators etc). None of the funding is allocated towards editing this film as the filmmakers are donating their time to the editing process. For a copy of our proposed budget plan, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Cushi Budget request” in the subject.
- Our vision is to have all donors involved in the making of this film as much as possible. In addition to inviting all donors to the screening of the first cut of this film, all those who cannot physically be present, will receive a copy in order for ALL to give feedback.
- Should we not reach the entire funding goal, we will start the documentary and edit any footage we shoot in an attempt to convey the importance of this project in order to continue fundraising.
- As you are reading this over 2000 African immigrants have already been deported from Israel back to their home countries and thousands more are confined to unsanitary deportation centers in the desert not knowing what will happen from one day to the next. The ill treatment and racism experienced by Blacks in the Holyland is unfortunately not confined to those nations alone. Anti-Black racism is rampant the world over and this film seeks to draw the connections between the struggle of the African diaspora through highlighting what is happening in that region. We feel that this film will help build long standing relationships between different black communities in the Holyland which we hope will eventually lead to them supporting one another.
Other Ways You Can Help
- Its simple….every little bit helps. Please share this with all your friends and family.
- If you are interested in setting up a screening for the future please email us email@example.com
For more information on Existence is Resistance please visit us at: