by Free Mumia Abu-Jamal Coalition
Political Prisoner Imam Jamil Al Amin, formerly known as H. Rap Brown, is in critical medical condition and in desperate need of our urgent action. Imam Jamil was a dominant and influential figure in the Civil Rights and Black Power Movements of the 1960s. He served as chairman of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) and later as Minister of Justice for the Black Panther Party.
Like so many other Black Power activists, in 2000, Jamil Al Amin was framed and convicted for murder of a deputy sheriff and for wounding another. He is innocent.
Political Prisoner Imam Jamil Al Amin, formerly known as H. Rap Brown, is in critical medical condition and in desperate need of our urgent action.
Imam Jamil has suffered under brutal conditions for many years in solitary confinement in a federal facility known as United States Penitentiary Administrative Maximum Facility (ADX) in Florence, Colorado, far from his home in Georgia. It is a dreaded place sometimes called the Guantanamo of the Rockies.
Imam Jamil has been recently diagnosed with a rare form of cancer, Multiple Myeloma, cancer of the plasma cells. His family and supporters are calling for his immediate transfer to a federal medical center – either at Butner, N.C., or Rochester, Minn. – that can give him the best care for this particular rare cancer.
To amplify their voices so loudly that the Bureau of Prisons is compelled to respond positively, people of conscience should
- contact the ADX at 719-784-9464 or FLMemail@example.com
- register your concerns on http://www.bop.gov/inmates/ concerns.jsp by selecting Florence ADMAX USP and entering Jamil Al-Amin, No. 99974-555
- call Bureau of Prisons Director Charles E. Samuels Jr. at 202-307-3250
- contact the Bureau of Prisons medical director at firstname.lastname@example.org
- call BOP Director of Health Services for the North Central Region Lisa Gregory at 913-621-3939
- contact your Congressional representatives
- and sign petitions HERE and HERE.
Imam Jamil’s wife, attorney Karima Al Amin, describes the severity of his condition
This is where we are at this point:
- Imam Jamil has had a dental problem for more than a year, which resulted in swollen jaws, broken teeth and the inability to swallow;
- He lost 29 pounds over a three-week period;
- His legs, feet and ankles have been swollen; and
- He went through a two-week period whereby he could not get out of his bed except for two times a day.
He attempted to see a physician at ADX, but instead saw a physician’s assistant who gave him water pills and antibiotics weeks after his second tooth extraction.
Prodded by people calling and inquiries from two members of Congress, ADX finally took blood and urine tests. Results were shared with Imam Jamil on June 23, 2014, a day after former Attorney General Ramsey Clark completed his visit with him at the ADX.
Regional Medical Director Lisa Gregory discussed the preliminary findings with Imam Jamil and said the findings suggested that he may have Multiple Myeloma – cancer of the plasma cells – and the stage would be confirmed once he had a bone marrow biopsy.
If he has not reached Stage 1 of the condition, then it would suggest that he has MGUS, which is a pre-Multiple Myeloma condition. Imam Jamil’s take on the discussion was that he had cancer, and the stage would be confirmed once he has the biopsy.
Based on this information, his age, 70 years, and the symptoms, we are calling for his immediate transfer to the federal medical center at Butner, N.C., or Rochester, Minn., where he could receive the appropriate monitoring and medical care.
We appreciate your assistance.
This message was sent by Karima Al-Amin to Claude Marks of Freedom Archives and originally published by Political Prisoner News. To learn more about Imam Jamil (H. Rap Brown), see “Free Imam Jamil Al-Amin! His wife, attorney Karima Al-Amin, tells of the US’ 47-year campaign to silence H. Rap Brown.”