Undocumented students and FAFSA

My Undocumented Life



As undocumented students, we DO NOT qualify for federal financial aid. However, institutions or scholarships may sometimes ask you to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application to obtain a Student Aid Report (SAR), which is a report that analyzes your family’s financial need.

Students with DACA, may use their Social Security Number (SSN) to complete the FAFSA. Remember, in doing so, you WILL NOT receive federal financial aid, but you can obtain the SAR. The SAR is an important tool that can be used to demonstrate need and can be used to apply for institutional aid and other scholarships.

In states such as California, where AB 540 undocumented students qualify for state financial aid, the CA DREAM Act provides a report of a student’s family financial need. To find a map of states that offer state financial aid to eligible undocumented students, please…

View original post 127 more words


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s